JAMES WILKES ( b. 1973 )
After receiving formal training at the Ontario College of Art and Design University in Integrated Media specializing in digital time-based media practices and illustration, James then spent the better part of his 20’s working in the Dark Arts, (advertising) on global brands such as Microsoft, Diagio, Molson, Dairy Queen, Special Olympics, Suzuki, adidas and Nike.
During which time James' work won dozens of awards in Canada and Internationally for his creativity, slanted humour, emotional storytelling and impeccable eye.
Looking to expand his storytelling James moved into long form.
He has co-created, executive produced, written and directed 9 series (doc, reality, drama and family) totalling 150 plus episodes that currently air in over 130 countries on such networks as Animal Planet, CBC, ESPN, NFL Films, National Geographic, History, CMT, GAC and Machinima Prime.
James' short films have appeared in the Canadian Film Centre's World Wide Short Film Festival, SCI-FI London, Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) and Fantasia.
James is currently in production and developing on several new factual and drama projects as well as a series of graphic novels.
- Ontario College of Art and Design | Integrated Media Major | 1992-1997
- HotDocs | DocLab | Director Masterclass | 2008
- Toronto International Film Fesitval | STUDIO Program | 2012-2013
- The Guardian | London UK | Video Journalism and Digital Storytelling Masterclass | 2013
- University of Applied Sciences | Potsdam Germany | Future of Storytelling | MOOC ( in progress)